Monday, August 27, 2007

Post 2: Book Review


It was fun to think through my favorite books while filling out my profile. I am not committed to the list; there are so many books I love. There are also a lot I don't like- I tend to feel strongly one way or the other.

I'll tell you about my favorite summer read. My mom introduced me to it after I expressed some disappointment with the author Pat Conroy. Once I read The Water Is Wide, I had to seriously rethink my opinion. I loved this book! It is the autobiographical story of a man who goes to teach poverty-stricken African American kids on an island off of S. Carolina (Yamacraw). It's touching, and humorous, and inspiring all rolled into one. For my fellow educators, it is a must read. Everyone else is sure to enjoy it too.

1 comment:

katie said...

thanks, i may pick it up, i've been looking for a good read!